I wanted to share some photos of a couple of completed blankets. I finished them with a round of hdc (half double crochet). In the next round, I evenly spaced 3 dc (double crochet) -- 6 dc, ch1, 6 dc in each corner. I repeated the shell pattern around with various colors, then finished with another round of hdc. I was going for a fun, random, colorful way to tie everything together, while using leftovers as much as possible.
It's interesting how a border and edging can change the look of a blanket. It's always helpful to see how different options look before you commit to one yourself. I hope these are helpful to you.
From the leftovers of my uncle's blanket:
I had so much fun with the little squares, that I did one with leftover blues, browns, and neutral colors:
The finished size came out to 34" x 40" (10 squares across by 14 squares down). Each individual square is about 3"x3". I just realized that's 140 squares in each blanket. It sounds like a lot, but when you're in the thick of it, it seems to sail by. The weaving in is a bit of a drag, but I think it's worth it for this waffle-y (new word) effect.
On a side note, when I stacked them together, I thought they would make a really cute gift for twins. Anyway, I'll be listing these at my Etsy shop in the very near future. Happy Friday and bon weekend!