Monday, December 28, 2020

Special Christmas Gift




My uncle - who has always been a healthy and active person - has been struggling with a whole mess of health problems these past several years stemming from an infection he got after a surgery. His lungs have been deteriorating to the point he needed a lung transplant. Thankfully (after months of testing) he was approved and shortly thereafter received a new lung. 

On his 5 month anniversary of receiving the lung, he went on a 5 mile hike! I'm sure it hasn't been easy, but he makes it look that way. He's such a strong person, and I'm so happy he is finally feeling as good as he does.

For Christmas, I wanted to make him a blanket. Since I can't give him a big hug because of COVID-19, I'll let my blanket do the hugging :)

I had lots of blues and greens in my stash, and since he and my aunt are so outdoorsy, I went with those in a random granny square pattern. The colors reminded me of the sea, sky and nature in general. I just kept mixing the colors until I had enough squares (great stash buster too).  I think it came out quite nice.

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. 2021 can't get here fast enough!










This was my chaos. It was controlled chaos, but I'm sure this would make some crazy :) Reusable shopping bags and laundry baskets make great holders while you are working on a project. My current work in progress is a baby blanket with the scraps. Stop back to see how that turns out.




2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful blanket and I do love the mix of blues and greens. I like the join with the neutral colours. It was also interesting to me to see what brands of yarn you had used. So glad that your uncle is doing so well now. A blanket hug is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I have never had someone close to me need an organ transplant, but I have been an organ donor since getting my driver's license. It has been life changing for him. It really showed me how important being a donor is.

      I've always been a yarn mixer. I try to stick with worsted weight for my blankets, but sometimes brands differ, so I used a smaller or larger hook in that case. It all works out, and granny squares are quite forgiving.

      Delete